Welcome to Real World Teacher!

Real World Teacher is Craig Seganti's blogging site for Classroom Discipline and other educational topics. Here you will also find the Real World Teacher Lounge, where member teachers can post questions to be answered by Craig and/or by each other.

PHILOSOPHY

Teachers are professionals who deserve to teach in an attentive, appreciative environment where an education is the reward. The aim is to not waste time in politically correct jargon but to employ those techniques and strategies which work-in the REAL WORLD.
Aug

Detention Time

By

How do you manage detention when at the end of the day bus schedules and parent pick up seem to rule?

Chris in Fort Myers

Categories : Uncategorized

Comments

1. buzzbea says:

I just instituted instant detention. After being informed by art, PE and computer specialists that they dreaded the one hour a week with my 3rd grade students and reading your book, I spoke to partner teachers in my wing. I informed students of new policies. The first day some students were out for 15 minutes before the tardy bell had even rung. Most were well behaved for the rest of the day. I have been able to do a lot more teaching since beginning this policy. I intend to continue to make believers out of the four or five that overshadow the ones that usually follow the rules.

2. Melanie says:

Hi,

I teach English as a foreign language, so I give them a list of words to translate. elementary: 35 words, HS: 50 words. They are allowed to use the computer. I choose difficult words, and it takes time to prepare the worksheets, but I don’t have to stay after work.

3. Jennyk says:

I take 15 minutes from their daily elective. I teach 6th grade in a contained classroom so this is their only break from me and their electives are pretty much fun time. Nobody seems to want to miss out on computer games or dodgeball! Works fabulously!

4. thoupe says:

My partner and I use Early Morning Detention. Our students arrive at school anywhere from 8:05-8:30 (our first class begins at 8:30), so we use this time for our detention. One of us has the detention kids and the other holds the students from our first class. They can bring their breakfast in with them and write the rules as they eat, but they have to serve their time.

5. chris says:

we have kids loose a certain number of minutes of their recess and when everyone goes out these kids stand on the wall and watch everyone else play until their minutes are gone. The teacher on duty already is at recess so no one looses their own break time and the kids hate watching eveyrone else have fun while they can not.

6. ckcrenshaw says:

I use other teachers, we send students out of our classrooms to another room, when ever there is a problem. I use this if students are not following the rules, I have a sheet that they must complete. I don’t tell them what to say on the sheet, they know what they are doing wrong. I will call the teacher as they leave so she is expecting them, I tell her so she can review the answers before she sends them back. If they don’t leave I have her send one of her older students down. I have never had to call any one else. But if I have to have an escort they are in more trouble and will loose their recess.

As far a detention I more often than not us recess detention. I lose my time but I do either way. An that is my lunch so it is probably worse that I eat lunch in front of them. But I need to eat too. Recess is 20 minutes.

I can keep students after school but frankly I think losing recess is worse for my students.

any way I like having the option of sending them out of my room, they really don’t like going to older kids because they couldn’t follow the rules. The other teachers (as I do when I get their students) make sure they do not have any fun and know they are in trouble. I try to make sure we are having fun when they come back. It may sound mean but if you leave my room you miss a lot. They need to know that, plus why should I hold off on the fun things when they are the ones that made the bad choice.

7. aussieteacher says:

Yes I’d like an answer to this one too. I’m in Australia and it’s not possible to keep kids on after school detention unless 1. you have parental permission and 2. you have admin permission.

8. Roz says:

Chris-
    Here’s something that may work for you–have a lunch or recess detention. Yes, it inconveniences you. Kids do not want to give up their time any more than we do. Something I am going to implement this year:
    Detention = Community Service

This may be something as simple as sorting or alphabetizing books on a shelf. Our school has a lack of cleaning staff, so sweeping a flight or stairs, or cleaning handrails is a possibility. Even if kids like to “help”, giving up social time isn’t something they enjoy. Just remember that supervision is on YOU.
    Good luck this year!